PHYSICAL PLANT DIRECTOR
$ 25.58-$ 37.02 hourly, $ 53,411-$ 77,298 annually
MN St Colleges & Universities
MN State University, Mankato
Who May Apply:
Open to all qualified job seekers
Days of Work:
Monday-Friday , 07:30 AM-04:00 PM
Const Facil Maint Mfg & Trans
**Background check required.**
Responsible for the development, day to day operation, and maintenance of the physical plant at Minnesota State University, Mankato including such items as buildings and associated electrical and mechanical systems; utility systems to include heating, air conditioning, water, and electricity; grounds, streets, and sidewalks.
1. Oversees the supervision of 55 personnel assigned to the Physical Plant Department through six supervisors.
2. Guides the human and physical resources within areas of responsibility ? Grounds Supervisor, Chief Engineer, Building Maintenance Supervisors (Academics and Residential Life), Plumber/Fitter Supervisor, Electrical Supervisor.
3. Manages Physical Plant automated work order system.
4. Participates with the Director of Construction Planning in planning projects which involve both Physical Plant employees and a contracted effort.
5. Represents the Physical Plant division on institutional and departmental matters of planning, policy, procedures and programs.
6. Prepares annual operations and equipment budgets for the Physical Plant. Continually monitors expenditures to assure that funds allocated are effectively utilized and expenditures limited to the allocation.
7. Receives and carries out special assignments as directed by the Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
8. Promotes and enforces an effective, ongoing safety programs so that safe and healthful conditions are maintained at all times.
9. Expands, directs and monitors energy conservation and sustainability measures across all departmental disciplines.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Travel to conferences, seminars, training sessions, other campus locations, etc. may be required.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor?s degree in engineering, facilities management or physical plant administration or a closely related field with a minimum of 10 years? experience. A combination of related education and experience in physical plant administration may substitute for a degree.
- Extensive knowledge of physical plant operations and repair of buildings in all trades and crafts areas including maintenance, utilities, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, grounds and landscaping.
-Considerable knowledge is needed in establishing budgets and controlling/monitoring expenditures in order to stay within established budgets.
-Effective human relations skills with an emphasis on civility are needed in working with all staff who directly report to the Director of Physical Plant, and with all other faculty and staff in the university community to develop and maintain high morale and positive working relationships.
-Strong leadership qualities in order to effectively achieve the mission of the Physical Plant division so that all work is done promptly and satisfies the customer or campus facilities.
-Must have the skills and willingness to effectively use e-mail, web, spreadsheets, word processing, presentation, power point, and computerized work order systems.
-Ability to read and understand construction blueprints and technical specifications.
-Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the a gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
-Strong experience and depth of knowledge of the TMA work order system.
-Strong background and experience in energy conservation, sustainability and ?green? initiatives.
-Master?s degree in a related field is preferred.
-Professional experience in a similar-sized, residential institution of higher education.
The selection process is a resume-based, skill-matching process. Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you.
If you have already submitted a resume to this database within the last 12 months that clearly identifies your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience, you do not need to submit another.
How to Apply:
Most State selection processes utilize a resume-based screening process. You will be contacted by agency staff if your background best matches the selection criteria on this job posting. To apply for this position, click the APPLY box found at the bottom of this job announcement. For additional information about the State?s selection process, go to <http://www.careers.state.mn.us/job-tip>.
NOTE: Applications will only be accepted until the closing date indicated on this job announcement. Job applications received after 11:59 pm on the last date of this announcement period cannot be considered.
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU's vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Contact for More Information:
Jill Frederickson-Kratzke, HR, 507-389-2017; email@example.com.
Apply for this job